Among the best-known names on the internet, Yahoo was one of the first companies that made the way for the users to the online. Yahoo can be considered as the tech giant that shaped the way we use internet today. With its pioneer initiatives of search engines, mail portal accompanied with news aggregation on the portal.
Though, Yahoo lost it’s tag of tech giant soon after the launch of other companies like Google, Microsoft’s bing, China’s Baidu and more. Still, there are some facts and figures about Yahoo that will help you to understand the importance of this tech giant in shaping the history of the Internet in the world.
1. Founded in 1994 by David Filo and Jerry Yang, was initially created with a vision of creating a type of directory for the Internet. It was originally called Jerry and Dave’s Guide to the world wide web.
2. In April the name of Jerry’s Guide to the World Wide Web was changed to Yahoo, which is an acronym for “Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle.” Yang and Filo added the exclamation point to the end of Yahoo! because “Yahoo” was already owned by a company that produced BBQ sauce.
3. Yahoo’s initial public offering after 2 years of it’s release in 1996 was the highest compared to other tech startup at that time.
4. Before Google launched in 1998, Yahoo was considered as one of the leading search engine for the Internet.
5. Yahoo, is also the owner of blogging platform Tumblr, to attract a large number of young audiences in 2013.
6. Online advertising, that yahoo owns is expected upto 2.3 percent of the global online revenues for 2015.
7. Yahoo, is just not the important portal for news and views, there is still high percentage of usage of yahoo mail is observed according to comScore.
8. In October 2015, Yahoo became the first online service to stream a regular season NFL football match, getting 15 million viewers.
9. Yahoo, was one of the stakeholder in China’s Alibaba.
10. On November 30, 2008, Microsoft offered to buy Yahoo!’s search engine for $20 billion. But they refused.
11. Yahoo! Search BOSS is a service that help people to create their own search engines with yahoo’s search technology.
12. Very few of us know that yahoo! owns a twitter like microblogging website known as Yahoo! Meme.