Rang De basanti, that is considered as the epitome of Modern India patriotism for the youth that was trying to coup with the globalization and westernization. As we all know that the movie had a great impact on the society, very few of us know that media dubbed this movie as “The movie that became a moment”.
The movie that took around 8 years to finally get released in the theaters. Director Rakeysh OmPrakash Mehra compliments the movie as the belief that was converted to a screenplay. With this information here I have curated the facts related to movie that will help you to relate and recall the movie more closely.
1. The first draft of the movie came up in 1997-98 with the name “The Young Guns of India”.
2. At the first while listening to the narration of the script Aamir was not interested in the movie until the time he gave two hours of listening the movie script and finally said yes to it.
3. Director RakyeshOmPrakash Mehra, cliams that eh could give life to the characters by drawn them from his close friends and a part of himself.
4. The dialogues that were so relate-able to our real life were written by Kamlesh Pandey and Rensil D’siliva, who wrote and continuously tried to improve the dialogues to make it more of the real life.
5. Aamir Khan, who is known as the perfectionist of the Industry have suggested a scene where all the lead characters own up to Defense Minister’s assassination.
6. Though, due to this scene in the movie, then censor board head Sharmila Tagore was to agree to pass the film for release because it had the assassination scene of Defense Minister. But, a special screening was arranged for the then Defense Minister Pranab Mukkharji and he agreed with the plot of the film, that cleared the way for the movie to the theaters.
7. As we all the know the dialogues of this movie had a huge impact on the our lives for a long period of time. The dialogue “Zindagi Jeene ke do hi tarike hote hai… ek jo ho raha hai hone do, bardaasht karte jao … ya phir zimmedari uthao usse badalne ki” was conceptualised by the editor of the movie.
8. Did you observed or realize that Karan, character of Siddharth had a back story? Yes, He loved Sonia(Soha Ali Khan), but she choose Ajay (R. Madhavan) over him.
(Inputs from Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s book ‘Rang De Basanti: The Shooting Script’)