It’s been a long time since we are hearing much about the first lady to receive Arjuna Award for her kindness in the time when people just loose their mind. The movie featuring the Biopic of Neerja Bhanot will not tell you few of these things about her.
Not, many know that Neerja Bhanot, who sacrificed her life while saving passengers from terrorists on board a hijacked Pan Am Flight Sept. 5, 1986, was into modeling before she became an air-hostess. From medical balm Vaporex to a saree brand Benzer, the supermodel had done many ads! Here are 11 pictures from Neeraja Bhanot’s real life will give you an insight into her personal life!
1. She was born to a Mumbai-based journalist, Harish Bhanot and Rama Bhanot Neerja was born in Chandigarh.
2. Neerja Studied at Bombay Scottish school and graduated from St. Xavier’s College. Her nick name as “Laado”!
3. Neerja got married at the age of 21 and she moved to western Asia with her husband. But, the marriage did not last long, due to unnecessary dowry demands and she returned to Mumbai and joined Pan Am.
4. Neerja was posthumously youngest and first Indian woman recipient of Ashok Chakra which is India’s highest peactime gallantry award. She was just 23 when she received it.
5. Apart from Ashok Chakra, other awards that she received include: Flight Safety Foundation Heroism Award, USA, Tamgha-e-Insaaniyat-Pakistan(awarded for showing incredibly human kindness), Justice for Crimes Award, United States Attorney’s office for the District of Columbia, Special Courage award, US Govt. and Indian Civil Aviation Ministry’s Award
6. Before she became an air hostess, she featured in advertisements that include brands like Godrej Besto detergent, Vaporex, Binaca toothpaste and Vico Turmeric cream.