Ravan is considered as the depiction of Evil in one part of Hindu Mythology. But, do you know the Mythological character that is said to be villain, was much more than that.
These interesting facts about Ravan will give you another perspective about his life that will help you understand the Demon-king.
1. Ravan’s grand-father Prajapati Pulastya, was one of the Brahma’s ten psychologically born sons. So, in a result Ravan was Brahma’s Great-grandson.
2. Ravana Sanhita, a book that is considered as the best work for Hindu Astrology, was originally authored by Ravan.
3. In one of the many written versions of Ramayana, it is said that being half-brahman, Ravan performed a yagya for Ram. The Yagya was important in order to get Shiva’s blessings before Ram’s army starts using the bridge to Lanka.
4. Ravan was the emperor of Three Worlds, with his almightiness and intelligence combined. Ravan had not only conquered a big land with a lot of humans but also celestials and other demons that made him the almighty of asuras.
5. It is a well-known fact that Ravan was one of the most intelligent scholars of that time, keeping that in mind, Ram asked Lakshman to sit beside the dying Demon-brahman who shared some important lessons in statecraft and diplomacy.
6. In one of the depictions of Ravan, he also seen carrying a veena. The legends have that he had massive interest in Music and was a highly accomplished veena player.
7. It is believed that Ravan was powerful enough who can even interfere with planetary alignments. Epics say that during the birth of his son Meghnad, Ravan ordered the planets to stay in 11th house of the child, that would grant him immortality. But, Saturn, or Shani, refused to do so and stood in the 12th house. Ravan got so angry that it is believed that he attacked Shani Dev and even imprisoned him.
8. Ravan knew it was his destiny to die by the hands of an avatar of Vishnu. He also know that dying by the hands of Vishnu will help him to attain moksha and give up his demon form.
9. Ever thought about the story behind the 10 heads of Ravan? Some versions of Ramayana say that Ravan did not have ten heads, but it was the optical illusion that is created by the 9-pearl necklace which was given by Ravan’s mother to him the other version says that to please Shiva, Ravan chopped his own head into pieces, but after seeing his devotion shiva made each piece spawn into another head.
10. Lord Shiva gave this name to Ravan. It is sid that Ravan wanted Shiva to relocate from Kailash to Lanka, and to make this happen, Ravan tried to lift the mountain. But Shiva, as he is, put down his foot onto the mountain, thus crushed Ravan’s finger with his one toe. In the pain, Ravan screamed loud of pain, but at the same time, by observing the power of Lord Shiva, he performed the Shiva tandav. It is believed that Ravan plucked out nerves from his hand to provide accompanying music. Shiva, thus found it ammusing and named him Ravan(the one who roars loud.)
11. Ravan was dishounored by his own wife, which led to his downfall. When ravan was just at the verge of lossing the war, as he was the only person left alive on this side. Ravan decided to perform a yagya which will turn the tide. But, the yagya required him to stay at one spot during the whole yagya. Observing this, Ram sent Angad, Bali’s son with his vaanar sena to disrupt the yagya. After many attempt he was failed to distrupt the yagya. At the end Angad dragged Ravan’s wife Mandodari, in a belief that atleast to save her Ravan will move from his spot. But, He didn’t moved. Then, Mandodari Screamed at Ravan and shamed him by giving him the example of Ram who was fighting a war for his wife while Ravan wasn’t even moving from his spot to save his wife. Listening this Ravan finally moved from the yagya spot living the ritual incomplete.
12. Ravan and his brother Kumbhkaran were actually avatars of Vishnu gatekeepers Jaya and Vijaya.
13. Maha Brahman, that’s what Ram addressed Ravan once in their conversation. Ravan had mastered 64 types of Knowledge, from the skills of Kshatriyas to the holy books of Brahmans, which made him one of the greatest living Asura with wisdom.
14. Ravan was cursed. It is said that he use to get attracted to the women. due to his weakness towords women once he tried to get Nalakuera’s wife due to his attempt he got cursed that he could not touch any women without their consent. This was the reason he didn’t touched SITA.