Apart from setting and defining the global standards of living in India, Britishers have given one of the huge things to India, The Indian Railway Network. The world’s third largest railway network is the lifeline of India and operates its own electric-locomotive, diesel locomotive, and passenger-coach factories. Although, it was not Britishers who introduced the first railway track in India, they just made the railroad as National connectivity.
Here are some more interesting and must read facts about Indian railway that will amaze you.
1. First train in India ran on 16th April 1853 at 3.35pm and it covered the distance between Bombay to Thane.
2. The pioneer railroad was created by 2 Indians – Jaganath Shunkerseth and Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy.
3. Loco-pilots (train drivers) are paid more than an average computer programmer.
4. The Indian Railways website gets near 12,00,000 hits per minute
5. The capital of India, Delhi Main Station, having the world’s largest route relay interlocking system, features a place within the Guinness Book of Records.
6. Back within the previous days, elephants were used to place the packages
7. With over 1.6 million staff, Indian Railways is that the world’s ninth largest leader.
8. The longest tunnel within the country is 11.215 kilometers long!
9. In 1986, Indian Railways started its first processed reservation in capital of India.
10. Trivandrum – H. Nizamuddin Rajdhani express, covers a non-stop distance of 528 kilometer
11. The primary train in Asian country ran on sixteenth April 1853 from Bombay to Thane.
12. The symbol of Indian Railways is Bholu – the guard elephant.
13. For more than 50 years, there have been no bathrooms on Indian Railways.
14. The total track length of Indian Railways is equal to circle the equator one-and-a-half times.
15. Metupalayam Ooty Nilgiri train is that the slowest train in Republic of India. It runs at a speed of ten kmph.
16. The overall distance lined by Indian Railways daily equals 3 and a half times the distance to the moon.
17. Indian Railways may be a monopoly. it’s closely-held by the govt.
18. Howrah-Amritsar express has 115 stops, the record most for an express train.
19. Indian Railways carry over 25 million passengers daily, over the complete population of Australia.
20. With a length of 1366.33 metres, Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh is that the longest platform within the world.
21. Indian Railways is one of the world’s largest railway networks, with 115,000 kms of tracks and a route of 65,000 kms.
22. Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta is that the longest station name.
23. Guwahati-Trivandrum express is that the most unreliable train within the country. the typical delay within the journey is 10-12 hours.
24. The world’s highest railway bridge is being engineered over Chenab. it’ll dwarf the Eiffel Tower.
25. There are 7,500 railway stations in India.
26. A mobile app system to trace train schedules has been introduced by Indian Railways in 2014.